Below are some useful acne tips that will help you along your journey to be acne free. If you have any questions about acne treatments, a Platinum Skin Care Acne Specialist is available to help you at 1-586-598-6093 or (6094).
- Use your acne products daily, even when your skin is
clear. After several months of good consistent results, using your acne
treatments every other day is sufficient. Keep in mind, it takes 90 days or more
for a pimple to work its way to the surface. Your skin's appearance may
be significantly improved, but for best acne treatment results, continue
your regimen and reduce if desired over a long period of time.
- Apply acne treatments and topical like benzoyl peroxide
to the entire affected area of your acne skin, not just the actual
pimples and blackheads. Generally acne placement follows a pattern based
on your age. Younger adults tend to have acne breakouts, pimples and
blackheads on the nose, forehead and chin. As age progresses acne moves
to the cheeks, jaw line, forehead and chin. It’s common for most adults
acne products daily to the entire face and jaw area.
- Stay out of the sun! Ultraviolet rays irritate and damage skin- opposite of what your acne skin needs.
- Keep friction off of your acne skin. Tight helmets, chin
straps and/or any nervous rubbing on the acne effected area. Constant
friction aggravates clogged pores, causing them to rupture. Friction of
this nature does not promote healthy treatment for acne skin.
- Be aware of iodine or kelp in your diet; they can be
found in a variety of vitamins. Large enough amounts can actually cause
acne and if you’re already genetically susceptible, you will want to
- If you are taking birth control pills, make sure you are taking the best acne treating birth control available. Estrogen based pills have the most clearing effect.
- Use mineral makeup
foundations over “oil-free” cosmetics. Just because they say they are
“oil-free” does not mean they are! Even products geared towards acne
prone skin are known to have acne causing ingredients! Here are some
acne causing ingredients to look out for:
- Lanolin derivatives (pure is SAFE) such as: anhydrous lanolin, lanolin oil, lanolin alcohol, acetylated lanolin, ethoxyated lanolin.
- Isporopyl Myristate and similar forms: isopropyl palmitate, isopropyl isotearate, butyl stearate, isostearyl neopentanoate, myristyl myristate, decyl oleate, octyl stearate, octyl palmitate and isocetyl stearate.
- D&C red pigments.
- Check your hair products if you are experiencing acne
around your hair line. It is likely one of your hair products are to
blame if this is the case.
- DON’T pick at your skin! But you can’t help it, right? Well, there is a right way and a wrong way to pick.
- Wash your hands and face before you even think about
touching a pimple and never squeeze a pimple that does not have a white
center! But if you insist, popping a small hole with a sterilized
needle first is recommended over applying pressure until it bursts. You
don’t want to you rupture the follicular wall beneath the skin. If this
were to happen, infection seeps out inside your skin, causing
inflammation and more pimples!
- DON’T take steroids unless they are prescribed to treat a
medical condition. Steroids can actually cause the development of acne
and the extent to which it is experienced can be due to a number of
varying factors. As a side effect of taking steroids, acne is
preventable only by using particular steroids, cleansing the skin
regularly, and perhaps using a topical anti-androgen.
- Consider reading Acne Rx, by Dr. James E. Fulton Jr. a
read! Many of the suggestions above were from his expertise. He
believes in the exfoliation method for clearing aggravating acne.
- Read the article How our CEO cured her acne and find the perfect regimen.