We answer your questions every day via email, messages, facebook, twitter, and of course, on the phone. We get the "dark circles" question so often that I felt I needed to write a quick post on what you should do to treat it at home.
Can you use a TCA peel for under eye circles?
TCA has been shown to help lighten dark circles, so applying a peel is always an option, but you must be cautious.
- Always begin by putting a barrier of vaseline/petrolatum jelly right under your lash lines to prevent any seepage into the eye area. Think of Egyptians and their eye liner. A nice line with a Qtip is the easiest way to apply.
- Only use the lightest percentage available. In this case our TCA 13 is the mildest formulation. Don't even consider using the 20% or 30% for this area. You may dilute your 20 or 30 to a 10% and use that.
- Never apply more than 1 layer! This is not an area where you are going to apply 2 or 3 layers of solution. Keep it light.
- To dilute the 20%. Mix equal parts 20% TCA with distilled or purified water in a separate cup.
- To dilute the 30%. Mix 1 part 30% TCA with 2 parts water.
What are other alternatives to treat dark circles?
Many times a peel is not going to help unless your darkness is a pigmentation issue. Consider using a daily treatment specifically for the eye area alone.
- I highly suggest the Eyelift Xpress Caffeine Eye Roller followed by Platinum Eyes Restoration Therapy. Do this 2x daily after washing and before other creams or treatments.
- Fade Bright Lightening Serum. Apply a light layer of this serum after washing and before any creams. This is used for pigmentation only.
- Allergy Medicine! *If your dark circles are not being helped by topicals, look for an OTC allergy medicine. A great deal of dark circles are from allergies. Take your allergy medicine every day for a few weeks. This will take care of dark circles caused by allergy issues.
- Dr. Rebecca Kazin, MD., medical director of the Johns Hopkins Dermatology and Cosmetic Center says "Some ingredients can help. Caffeine tightens blood vessels and curbs puffiness. Ingredients like retinol and vitamins C and E can lighten undereye circles". We recommend reading her article 5 Remedies For Dark Circles.