Here comes warm weather and that can mean an increase in annoying skin troubles. Here are some and what you can do about them:
1. Rashes and hives: Sometimes, rashes and hives just show up, mysteriously. It can be an allergic reaction to something you ate or came in contact with, like a certain type of soap. Sometimes they itch, sometimes they don't. Often, they will disappear as mysteriously as they appeared.
Quick fix: A dose of Benadryl could work, especially if the rash/hives are allergy-based, or try applying some cortisone cream: Both products are non-prescription in the drugstore. Use common sense: If a rash persists more than a couple of days, is spreading, is painful or becomes infected, resembles a Lyme disease "bulls-eye" rash, or is accompanied by a fever--go to a doctor.
2. Cold Sores/Fever Blisters: They usually appear on the mouth or nose and can be triggered by a cold, stress, sun, hormone changes--and they are contagious!
Quick Fix: The quicker you start treating it, the better it will be--start applying Blistex and ice the minute you feel the start of one, and start using the non-prescription Abreva (both products available without a prescription). If the sore hasn't spread to the eyes, and is not pus-filled, then these simple preparations can help. Remember to use SPF in the future.
3. Razor Bumps: Guys get them on the face and neck, women on the legs (especially the upper thighs).
Quick Fix: Make sure you moisturize really well, before and after shaving, and be sure to use warm water to soften the skin and hair before starting to shave. Use good shaving products. Shave in the direction the skin grows so that you don't get too close of a shave--which is often the cause of the problem, believe it or not. Change your razor blades frequently so you minimize infection risk and invest in a good razor that won't nick and irritate your skin.
4. Skin Tags: Those little bumps that usually grow on the torso and just sort of hang out, forever.
Quick Fix: They are usually harmless, but annoying to look at, and there are some over-the-counter products that might "freeze" them off (ask your pharmacist about those products). Using products made for wart-removal can help, too (see below). Dermatologists have stronger preparations and/or lasers to get rid of them and if you have several, you can get them all done at once, safely.
5. Acne: If mild, following the inexpensive ideas of The Skin Regime; Boot Camp for Beautiful Skin can help tremendously (among other things, the book teaches proper exfoliation, use of pore-cleansing glycolic products, peels, etc).
Quick Fix: Dry pimples quickly with Blemish Authority Mask or Acne Drying Lotion or our patented CLEAR 10% Benzoyl Peroxide. If you have moderate acne, you might really like one of the amazing Acne Packages offered at Platinum Skincare—or you can call them for a personal consultation on what will target your specific skin and issues. If you have really severe acne, consider seeing a dermatologist for some wonderful products and treatments that can help cure it.
6. Nail fungus and athletes foot: Both are fungus-related, and keeping feet and shoes clean and dry with over-the-counter creams and powders can help a lot, as well as changing socks and shoes during the day.
Quick fix: Because fungi hate the sun, try exposing your feet and/or nails a few minutes a day to the sun. Also--always wear thongs in public showers to avoid getting and spreading the fungi. If you get at these annoying infections early, you can get them under control and avoid needing stronger prescription medications. For persistent cases, there are laser treatments; consult a dermatologist.
7. Spots and Discoloration (age, sun, melasma/hormone, and liver spots): You can beat these at home as well! The Skin Regime; Boot Camp for Beautiful Skin teaches you how to use glycolic serums and other mild at-home acidic peels, as well as hydroquinone creams or the alternative Alpha-arbutin. To safely fade discoloration, but the BEST thing you can do is prevent them in the first place by using sunscreen on your skin. Even after you fade your spots, exposure to the sun can bring them back immediately, so keep your skin protected.
Quick Fix: Start with Fade Bright Lightening for mild discoloration and contact Platinum Skincare for a free consultation to get info on stronger at-home remedies.
8. Warts: They are harmless but unsightly! They are also contagious and can spread on your own body, or to other people--a wart is a virus, after all--so keep them dry, covered, and don't pick at them!
Quick Fix: Ask your pharmacist for some over-the-counter treatments, including some at-home freezing kits and liquid preparations. Using a strong glycolic acid or TCA preparation can help. Try to catch warts early--they are easier to deal with when you get them "young."
9. Dull and/or Dry Skin: Won't kill you, but it can be solved!
Quick Fix: Doing at-home "peels" with mild or strong alpha-hydroxy peels can change your skin almost overnight by exfoliating gently and removing dead skin cells, shrinking pores, and evening skin tone. Contact Platinum Skincare to get free advice on what peel is right for your skin!
Where can I buy Dana's Book?
The Skin Regime; Boot Camp for Beautiful Skin, available as a Kindle download or Buy paperback to buy your paperback copy from Platinum Skin Care. You can also read the first chapter--FREE--by click here to read 1st chapter.